Thursday 20 September 2012

For the Ascended Masters


Well I managed to buy a 4x4 just in time for winter, the only problem I discovered one night was that it did not have any main beam lights, side lights full beam but no main beam! Troubling when you consider I work a lot at night. Now there is a saying in the aviation world when all the technology fails, radar, instruments even engines, FLY THE PLANE! Now I am not liking my 4x4 to an aircraft, but it all comes down to the same method of mentality. I grew up in the country, now us country types evolve into two types of people, carrot crunching cattle farming types of the grease monkey fix anything with an adjustable spanner and hammer! I was the latter. I started my mechanical apprenticeship at a garage that restored MG sports cars and thought I was the dogs nuts. I was partnered up with a gentleman called John Hurrell, now John was already a legend having done his apprenticeship on Steam Engines and Fordson Major Tractors, so by the time he got to be tasked with being my mentor it was like working with my grandfather. John had some wonderful ways and saying like, These modern cars have to much engineering if you don’t have a few screws and bolts left after a job you have not done it right. Then there was the classic day I went to check the spark on a running NSU RO80 only to be thrown across the room by the shock, John looked at me crumpled on the ground with no feeling in my right arm and said guess you wont try that again! He was right. So now to today’s events, having tried checking the dashboard lighting switch with no change, I ordered and replaced the steering column light switch again no change. In total I had the dash apart 3 times and replaced two major switches, and fault checked the wiring loom still no lighting, I gave up at this point. Driving home despondent I resigned myself to thinking about an auto electrician who charges £80 per hour to sort out a baffling problem just like this. Then out of the blue I remembered John, saw his grinning face and his voice saying have you checked the bulbs? Remember the simple things first. Thinking to myself there is no way a single filament on both bulbs can blow at the same time I did not hold up much hope. Sure enough both bulbs had blown! I could have saved myself time and grief if I had of checked the simple things first like blown bulbs. So to the title of this post, Ascended Masters are not just inscrutable Chinese people or Monks sitting on a mountain top, a master is a master even in Mechanical Engineering, they will come to you in times of need and trust me £80 per hour is a time of need for me, and they will remind you of the obvious, keep it simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment